For the best experienceDownload the Mobile App
App Store Play Store
Some in Congress push to extend Covid fraud investigations amid expiring authority
Some in Congress push to extend Covid fraud investigations amid expiring authority
Some in Congress push to extend Covid fraud investigations amid expiring authority

Published on: 04/03/2025

Description

WASHINGTON (TNND) — The pursuit of pandemic relief funds that fell into the hands of fraudsters remains a priority for some members of Congress. As investigations continue, lawmakers are pushing to extend the authority to pursue fraud claims, with billions of dollars at stake.

During the height of the COVID-19 pandemic, numerous relief programs were established to support businesses and workers affected by shutdowns. The Small Business Administration (SBA) estimated that approximately $200 billion in potentially fraudulent relief loans were distributed. Efforts to recover these funds have been ongoing, with Republicans criticizing the Biden administration for insufficient oversight.

"We owe it to the American people to get to the bottom of the greatest theft of American taxpayer dollars in history," said Rep. James Comer, R-Ky., in February 2023. "We must identify where this money went, how much ended up in the hands of fraudsters or ineligible participants, and what should be done to ensure that it never happens again."

A government accountability office report released in late March revealed that the SBA was unable to pursue nearly 2 million fraud claims due to incomplete information. Some of the authority to continue pursuing fraud for pandemic programs is nearing expiration, including a program designed to aid venues and artists during shutdowns. Business Insider reported that several high-profile artists spent millions from the program on luxury items such as private jets, clothes, and parties.

In response, Sen. Joni Ernst, R-Iowa, and Rep. Roger Williams, R-Texas, introduced a bill to extend the statute of limitations to 10 years for some programs, allowing more time to target fraudsters.

“Thousands of hardworking small businesses were deprived of desperately needed relief because swindlers, gang members, and felons cashing in on COVID drained the programs. Every single con artist who stole from taxpayers will be held accountable," said Sen. Ernst in the release announcing her bill.

The Executive Director of the Pandemic Response Accountability Committee (PRAC), Ken Dieffenbach, urged lawmakers last month to prevent the committee from sunsetting later this year to continue addressing fraud claims. He rattled off multiple attempts people made to try and defraud the government.

"Applicants who have already applied in five other states or applicants who use names like Charlie Chaplain, Abraham Lincoln, or Foghorn Leghorn, as at least three people did in pandemic programs, those three were stopped before the money was dispersed, let me assure you," said Dieffenbach during the March House Oversight hearing.

In PRAC's latest report to Congress, the committee stated that its work has supported investigations into more than 23,000 individuals. If the committee is disbanded, ongoing investigation data could be lost.

News Source : https://wfxl.com/news/nation-world/some-in-congress-push-to-extend-covid-fraud-investigations-amid-expiring-authority-pandemic-coronavirus-small-business-administration

Other Related News

04/04/2025

DAVISBORO Ga WRDWWAGT - An Augusta man was arrested on Wednesday after he was accused of s...

3 alleged MS-13 gang members arrested in connection to Florida cold case murders
3 alleged MS-13 gang members arrested in connection to Florida cold case murders

04/04/2025

BROWARD COUNTY Fla TNND Attorney General Pam Bondi joined deputies with the Broward Sheri...

Hearing set for Maryland father mistakenly deported to El Salvador amid MS-13 allegations
Hearing set for Maryland father mistakenly deported to El Salvador amid MS-13 allegations

04/04/2025

HYATTSVILLE Md 7News A Maryland father Kilmr Abrego Garcia 29 who was mistakenly deported...

Gen. Timothy Haugh fired as head of NSA and Cyber Command
Gen. Timothy Haugh fired as head of NSA and Cyber Command

04/04/2025

WASHINGTON TNND The Trump administration fired the director of the National Security Agen...

2025 Hurricane forecast released with active season likely
2025 Hurricane forecast released with active season likely

04/04/2025

WPDE Hurricane season is still nearly two months away but Dr Phil Klotzbach and his resea...

ShoutoutGive Shoutout
500/500